Seventy-five percent of users never scroll beyond the first page of Google. If you are not on the first page, your healthcare practice may seem invisible online, making it more challenging for potential patients to discover your business. Here’s how to be on the first page of Google through the use of medical SEO best practices, and a supporting marketing strategy.
How to get your healthcare practice to show up on Google first
Your SERP ranking, or ranking on a Search Engine Results Page, refers to the placement of where your healthcare practice lands when someone searches for a related category. For example, if someone is looking for a medical clinic, they may search for “doctors near me Little Rock” to see the listings. In an ideal scenario, your medical clinical will show up first, and be backed by numerous 5-star reviews and a stellar website with direction on how to make contact with your healthcare practice to set an appointment.
If your healthcare practice is not on the first page of Google, that means you do not have SEO working for you. SEO refers to search engine optimization, which means the content on your website is designed to work with the algorithms Google uses to crawl web pages and decide where they should be placed. SEO is essential to any business, since organic search is arguably the most valuable marketing tool.
What is SEO and how it works
Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, involves putting the right quality content on your website that Google will recognize and consider important enough for a higher placement. In turn, you get quality visitors who arrive at your site organically. In addition to quality content, many other factors are included in this process. A secure and accessible website, page speed and mobile page speed, keyword usage, external links directing back to your site, and social shares from your site all play a role in how SEO works. Here are five simple but effective steps to get started utilizing SEO to drive organic traffic to your website:
- Use a linkable landing page. Regardless of site content, make sure you have a landing page that is easy to reach and easy to be linked from external sources. Even if you have password protected areas or AJAX slides, be sure a portion of your site is publically accessible for linking.
- Always have a speedy site. One of the quickest ways to move down your ranking is a slow loading page. Minimize features that slow down your site, and avoid redundant content.
- Optimize your titles. Titles are the first element web users see, and an important part of ranking. Use relevant keywords in titles any chance you get.
- Use appropriate addresses. All subpages should have a website address that doubles as a description of the page, making it easier for viewers to understand instantly what the page is all about.
- Multiply the media. Use multiple forms of media for users to view, especially video content, which plays a strong role in website ranking.
SEO vs SEM vs SMM
You’ve heard of SEO, but are you familiar with the acronyms SEM and SMM and how they work? SEM refers to Search Engine Marketing, which means paid search engine traffic is used to gain visibility. SEM gives you more control, rather than having to wait strictly on organic results. Paid results appear on the top right-hand side of the organic results, so the advertising money spent for pay-per-click ads tends to get immediate hits. SMM stands for Social Media Marketing. This term is used to describe paid advertising promoted through social channels. Similar to SEM, the format is also setup as pay-per-click, so you only pay when a user clicks on your advertisement.
Compliments to a great Google ranking
In addition to excellent SEO practices, your healthcare practice should support these tactics through a complete marketing strategy to fully maximize your efforts. Here are a few other factors to consider as part of your strategy:
- Landing page: A landing page is a simple website used to capture the attention of potential patrons and convert them to patients. There are numerous approaches when it comes to landing pages for medical clinics, but all should include a call to action and a collection of the visitor’s information for follow-up.
- Email marketing: Utilizing an ongoing email drip campaign is a surefire way to stay on the minds of your potential patrons, and keep in touch with current patients. Having an ongoing email campaign will also ensure follow-up occurs to any interested website visitors.
- Video marketing: Video marketing is the key to communicating with your ideal audience in a direct fashion. Explore some creative ideas for your video marketing campaign, such as patient testimonials or health tips.
- Social media strategy: A great social media marketing strategy should include a combination of authentic and consistent content, along with well-placed and well-timed social ads directed to your target market. Retargeting ads can also be used to remind people who have previously visited your website about your healthcare practice and urge them to take the next step.
- Online reputation: The overall reputation and presence of your healthcare practice plays a key factor in the success of your marketing. Even if you are on the first page of Google, but you have numerous negative reviews, this can quickly dissuade interested prospects from moving forward. Simply having someone be mindful of all reviews can make a big difference, and address any issues as quickly and professionally as possible. Engagement on social accounts can also improve your online reputation.
Work with the medical SEO experts
At iProv, we are dedicated to developing complete marketing strategies that get your healthcare practice the results you desire. We have a team of marketing experts that can implement the use of SEO and various marketing techniques to get your healthcare practice on the first page of Google. Contact us today to discuss developing a unique strategy tailored to your goals, and begin driving more patients through your doors.