When it comes to running a successful business, some rules of thumb just can’t be underestimated.
For better or for worse, the importance of a good Google review is one such standard: businesses with 5 visible stars on a Google search do better than their competitors.
Need to up your Google review game?
With 95% of consumers reading online reviews before making a purchase, marketers have no choice but to cater to the internet’s most important search engine.
In this week’s edition of The Filter, we’re exploring the psychology behind Google reviews, what makes a good one, and how to earn them. Let’s get into it.
Put Yourself in Your Customer’s Shoes
When was the last time you used reviews to make a purchase decision? If it wasn’t in the last few hours, it was certainly in the last few days or weeks. Whether it’s for big purchases like a car or small choices like choosing a movie, reviews are paramount to modern decision-making.
So, step one is simple: search your business on Google and look for the gleaming gold stars on the right side of your screen. If the average review isn’t 5 stars, give yourself the benefit of the doubt and read through the lower reviews.
If you’d never heard of your company before, would you trust what you see? Would you buy from them? Give them a call? If the answer is no, you’re missing out on a pillar of potential revenue.
Why Should You Care About Google Reviews?
Here’s the breakdown of their impact from a more technical perspective:
- Reputability: a slew of strong reviews proves that you’re a reputable business (people are rightfully suspicious of scammy businesses these days)
- Search results: Google leverages reviews in its SEO algorithm. The higher the positive review count, the higher you’ll be in the search results
- New customers: positive reviews can be the make or break factor for a potential new customer
- Existing customer satisfaction: an active review page with responses from the business owner (to posts both positive and negative) demonstrates a commitment to quality service
The Perks of Strong Review Sentiment
In plain terms, Google reviews are important on two fronts: they’re a business’s chance to boost trust and credibility, and they unlock maximum SEO possibilities. In many ways, they embody the core functions of marketing.
When businesses master the Google review game, the brand takes on a life of its own online. It becomes a consistent presence in the digital ecosystem, doing the work for you to earn ongoing support.
So, can you leverage them to overcome your competitors?
The Ingredients of a Good Review
The perfect review doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, one could argue that quantity is more important than quality here. All you need is something clear, specific, and authentic. Here’s a great example:
It’s also important to keep in mind that a mixed review isn’t the end of the world. If something comes in that mentions areas for improvement, responding professionally with an apology and promise to improve shows future customers that you still deserve a chance.
If you want to earn some good review karma, consider leaving a review of your own for fellow small businesses in your area. Include genuine details about your experience and frame any feedback with a supportive angle!
How to Reel in Real Reviews
Gathering more reviews is simple: encourage your customers to leave positive Google reviews. Here’s how:
- Ask customers directly: bring it up after an in-person sale, or include a link to review in your email signature or website
- Offer incentives: offer up a reward for reviewing like a free small gift or future discount
- Respond to reviews: demonstrate that you take reviews seriously by responding to every review, both positive and negative
- Monitor reviews: track your review progress by checking back regularly and analyzing any trending sentiment
Stuck on a strategy for better reviews? Google reviews tactics are right in the iProv wheelhouse, and we’re quite proud of our own 5-star average ⭐
While we’re on the topic, we’d be honored if you started your Google review journey with a rating for us! Click here to post your iProv review.
We’d love to help turn yours around, too! Click here to schedule a free digital marketing consultation.